Thursday, May 3, 2007

erica s.'s final blog on saving mom.

(finally)...

Affirmations:
Soo-Jin, your voice is so consistently funny and touching- each new draft/scene/version of this play holds and displays this humor and heart in a thrilling way.
I really enjoy your explorations of theatrical conventions in the newest draft- specifically what having it set in McDonald's has done for you... it seems like by containing it in this way all sorts of creative and fantastic(al) doors have been opened! There is also something really smart about McDonald's... the things that McD's represents in our culture (and the world) parallel this play in a really smart way. (this might be very obvious and so I will not expand but if you want me to explain what I mean by that I'm happy to!)


Questions:
What (or who) is the nucleus of this play? or-
What (or who) is the thing that is necessary to everything (or everyone) else?

Opinions:
My biggest, most opinionated opinion- is that I don't see how the molestation is necessary (or even part of) the story any more.
It feels as though you have about 3 possible plays here... or that there are 3 major stories at work- the molestation being one of them- but it seems like you have started writing away from that... that your exploration of the mom/rev story has really exploded and is (for me) what wants to be driving the play.

No comments: