Friday, May 4, 2007

Priscilla's final reponse to Love, Candy

Affirmations:
I am both interested and attracted to the Candy Darling you have created. I think it is incredibly difficult to create a single character (or almost single character) play and keep the audience attentive, but your character is so compelling that she can carry the play. I love the device of the one male/one female actors to play all of the other roles. I think it works well because it keeps our focus on Candy -- we never really invest in any of the many characters that they each play. I look forward to seeing/hearing more from this play.

Opinion:
It was a great exercise to allow us to pull apart your text the other day and assign new voices and roles. I believe that Candy's real life and what you've created are both rich enought that the play could be done either way and be successful. It would certainly be a totally different play though, and I have to think that it would cost Candy a good degree of her agency.

Question/Opinion:
Was the blackboard thing that you did during the NWF reading part of the script? It didn't seem in keeping with the rest of the play and really took me away from Candy and her story. I like the anatomy lesson, but wanted it to be directly tied to her and how she feels cheated by the time in which she lives.

Question/Opinion:
On the one hand, I really agree with your idea of not making Candy overly beautiful/feminine on stage (so as it doesn't turn into a drag show). But on the other hand, it also sort of seems untrue to the real Candy, as she so did not look like a man in a dress and make-up. In the pictures I've seen of her, she very much appears to be a female. I'm wondering how you might be able to give her that appearance and not make her stage transition drag-campy. I feel there's got to be a way to do it. (Don't you just love questions without possible solutions?)

No comments: