Friday, May 4, 2007

Priscilla's final reponse to Fourth of July

Affirmations:
I still love this play. I love the town, the 4th, and each of the characters. Each time you’ve brought in new pages, I feel the relationships of the characters are deeper and more specific – but at the same time the characters have stayed true to their original selves and you have managed to keep the great story you’re telling.

I was thinking about our discussion in class of the nostalgia we all have for the 4th – and it’s so true that everyone has their mythology surrounding it. I feel that way about the community you’ve created in your play as well. I did not have the small town, Fourth of July experiences that you write about, but there is something so true in the place and the community, that it resonates for me nonetheless.

I particularly liked the changing out-going messages you brought in this week – brilliant and effective. I hope you find a place to incorporate them into your play.

Opinion:
You play has made me think a lot about how we communicate through different mediums. I like the way you have sometimes used the different mediums to counter one-another or as subtext. I think you could do more.

I love the pink pool and Adrian arriving at Connor’s. I hope it manages to stay in the play.

I think it is more effective to never have Seth get what he wants (Adrian). For some reason, it makes us connect with him and invest in him more.

Question:
I was wondering about Connor living with his parents and having the party. He says they’re coming home the next day and invites Adrian to stay over and help him clean up in the morning. But then there was something about another party the next day – I forget now exactly what it was – but it seemed to me something that would be particularly problematic given that the parents would be back home.

No comments: